- Ph.D. (dual-title) Architecture and Human Dimensions of Natural Resources & the Environment. 2017. Pennsylvania State University.
- MS Landscape Architecture. 2011. Pennsylvania State University.
- BLA. 2005. Pennsylvania State University.
- LARCH 497 Independent Study: Geodesign Inquiry
- LARCH 450 Geodesign: Geospatial Technology for Design
- LARCH 414 Design and Theory V: Advanced Landscape Architectural Design
- LARCH 382 Professional Practice
- LARCH 321 Design Theory Seminar
- LARCH 311 Design and Theory III: Regional Planning and Landscape Systems
- LARCH 115 Design I: Intro to Spatial Composition
- LARCH Summer Intensive Program
- GEODZ 826 Representation & Change
- GEODZ 511 History, Theory, & Principles
- Transdisciplinary research-activated design
- Biosocial landscapes
- Design studio pedagogy and innovation
Honors + Awards
- Architecture Research Centers Consortium Dissertation Award, 2018
- Council of Graduate Schools/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Award Finalist, 2017
- Distinguished Doctoral Scholar, Penn State University, 2017
- Best Student Paper Award, Environmental Design Research Association Conference, 2016
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Student Honor Award, 2011
- Penn State University College of Arts and Architecture, Creative Achievement Award, 2011
- Landscape Architecture Foundation, University Olmsted Scholar, 2011
Exhibitions + Presentations
Mainzer, Stephen & Kendall Mainzer. Team-teaching strategies and effectiveness in design pedagogy: a pilot study. Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference. March 2018. Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA.
Cole, Charles Andrew, Mainzer, Kendall & Stephen Mainzer. E+D: Ecology and Design - Improving the ecological function of the designed world. Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference. March 2018. Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA.
Mainzer, Stephen. Community and Landscape Driven Pro-Environmental Behavior: preliminary findings of household energy consumption in two rural towns. Psychology of Architecture Conference. December 2016. Austin, TX.
- Mainzer, Stephen. Towards a transdisciplinary action research design studio: adapting a human dimensions of natural resources education structure. Environmental Design Research Association. May 2016. Raleigh, NC.
- Barrett, Austin, Lauren Abbott, Sarah Eissler, Carolyn Fish, Lacey Goldberg, Stephen Mainzer, & Max Olsen. 2015. Community perceptions of local food: a mixed methods approach. International Symposium on Society and Research Management. June 2015. Charleston, NC.
- Zawadzki, Stephanie J., Stephen Mainzer, & A.E. Luloff. 2015. Close, but not too close: landmarks and their influence on housing values. International Symposium on Society and Research Management. June 2015. Charleston, NC.
- Mainzer, Stephen & Timothy Murtha. 2011. Creating resilient neighborhoods: the relationship between ecologic principles and private development in Greendale, WI. Council of Educator in Landscape Architecture Conference. March 2011. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- Mainzer, Stephen. 2010. Creating accessible suburbs: a background on suburban housing and public housing projects in the U.S. No)Boundaries Geography Student Conference. March 2010. Pennsylvania State University. State College, PA.
- Mainzer, Stephen & A.E. Luloff. 2017. Informing environmental problems through field analysis: toward a community landscape theory of pro-environmental behavior. Community Development. 48, 4. 1-16. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/pzE9fgSmq6BbFUYUZxEp/full
- Zawadzki, Stephanie J., Stephen Mainzer, Rae Anne McLaughlin, & A.E. Luloff. Close, but not too close: landmarks and their influence on housing values. Journal of Land Use Policy. 62. 351-360. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264837715301058
- Barrett, Austin, Lauren Abbott, Sarah Eissler, Carolyn Fish, Lacey Goldberg, Stephen Mainzer, & Max Olsen. 2015. Community perceptions of local food: a mixed methods approach in State College, PA. State College, PA. The Hamer Center for Community Design. The Pennsylvania State University. ISBN 978-1-941659-04-5. http://sites.psu.edu/hamercenter/2016/01/15/community-perceptions-of-local-foods-monograph/
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Mobility Plan. Brevard County, FL. 2013. Final report to Space Coast Transportation Planning Organization. Completed as an employee of Renaissance Planning Group.
- Manatee County Complete Streets Policy. Manatee County, Fl. 2012. Final report to Manatee County Government. Completed as an employee of Renaissance Planning Group.
- The Alexan at Carlyle (built), LandDesign, Inc.
- The Groveton (built), LandDesign, Inc.
- Potomac Yard neighborhood design development (built), LandDesign, Inc.
- The Duke (built), LandDesign, Inc.
- Long Bridge Park (North Tract Park - built). Hargreaves Associates
- Ecology + Design center-in-development, Stuckeman School, 2017 -
- Graduate Affairs Committee, Stuckeman School, 2017 -
- Reviewer, Landscape Journal, 2017 -
- Reviewer, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) Conference, 2010 - 2012, 2017 -
- Reviewer, Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) Conference, 2017 -
- Chair, Stuckeman School Career Day Faculty Committee, Penn State University, 2015 - 2016.
- Career Adviser, Stuckeman School, 2015 - 2016.
- Judge, Penn State University Undergraduate Research Exhibition, 2015.
- Webinar Panelist, Directions Magazine. Geodesign as a Methodology for Land Use Planning, 2013.