- ARCH 491 (Architectural Design VII - Thesis)
- ARCH 497 (Integrative Energy and Environmental Design)
Iulo is an Associate Professor of Architecture at the Pennsylvania State University and a Registered Architect, Professional Planner, and LEED-Accredited Professional (LEED®-AP). Her research and practice related to residential green building practices and affordable housing, energy efficiency, and strategies for implementation of renewable energy at the building and community scale has been widely published and recognized. Other research interests include investigating environmentally conscious design pedagogy and the integrative design process.
- 2014: “Contextualizing Home Energy Affordability,” Penn State Institute for the Arts & Humanities Individual Faculty Research Grant, $3,500.
- 2014: “Performance Optimization and Development of a Home Modular Delivery System,” The Pennsylvania Housing Research Center 2013 Research Grant, $30,000.
Honors + Awards
- 2014 Penn’s Wood Fellow, College of Arts and Architecture nominee in recognition of leadership in sustainability education.
- 2011 Award of Recognition for “contributions to interdisciplinary collaboration at Penn State,” presented by Penn State Institutes of Energy and the Environment (PSIEE)
- 2014: Iulo, L.D., Wertman, A., Quigley, B. (2014) “Performance Optimization & Development of a Home Modular Delivery System, Proceedings of the 2nd Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, February 20, 2014 State College, PA, USA: 187-200.
- 2014: Memari, A., Iulo, L., Solnosky, R. and Stultz, C. (2014) “Building Integrated Photovoltaic Systems for Single Family Dwellings: Innovation Concepts,” Open Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 4 (2): 102-119.
- 2013: Iulo, L.D., Gorby, C., Poerschke, U., Kalisperis, L. N., Woolen, M., (2013) “Environmentally Conscious Design – Educating Future Architects.” International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, Vol. 14, Issue 4: 15 pages.
- 2013: Iulo, L.D., and Quigley, B.L., “Lessons Learned from the Process of Retrofitting Existing Housing for Energy Efficiency” (2013). Proceedings of the 1st Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, February 20-21, 2013 Bethlehem, PA, USA.
- 2012: Iulo, L.D. “Energy and the Integrative Design Process – Defining the Team of Experts.” In High Performance Homes, Their Design and Construction: New Materials, Renewable Energies and Integrated Practice (Part 3), Franca Trubiano (ed.). Routledge (2013): 193-202.
- 2012: Iulo, L.D. “Modular Building – three scales/three strategies.” In High Performance Homes, Their Design and Construction: New Materials, Renewable Energies and Integrated Practice (Part 4), Franca Trubiano (ed.). Routledge (2013): pp. 283-295.
- 2012: Quigley, B.L., Iulo, L.D. “Green Infill Housing: envisioning a modular kit of parts” Proceedings: OFFSITE Theory and Practice of Architectural Production, Ryan E. Smith, John Quale and Rashida Ng (eds.). Temple University (2012): 7 pages.
- 2012: Ali, M., Grossenbacher, S.V., Iulo, L.D. “Comparative Evaluation of Structural and Water Penetration Performance of Three Different Masonry Wall Types for Residential Construction.” Journal of Civil Engineering and Science, Vol. 1, No. 4 (2012): pp. 9-21.
- 2011: Iulo, L.D., Haksar, R.R., & Blumsack, S. “Design Strategies for Community-Scale Renewable Energy Solutions.” Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Volume 1, Magali Bodart, Arnaud Evrard (ed.). Louvain-la-Neuve: Presses Universitaires de Louvain (2011): pp. 621-626.
- 2011: Iulo, L.D., & Quigley, B.L. “Towards an Efficient Model for Low-Energy Affordable Housing: Pilot project for the Union County Housing Authority Energy-Efficient Housing Program.” Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Volume 2, Magali Bodart, Arnaud Evrard (ed.). Louvain-la-Neuve: Presses Universitaires de Louvain (2011): pp. 247-251.
- 2011: Staub, A. & Iulo, L.D. “User-Participation and the Design Charrette: A Systematic Approach to Furthering Design Process.” Proceedings of 2011 Architectural Research Centers Consortium Conference - Considering Research: Reflecting upon Current Themes in Architectural Research, Philip Plowright, Bryce Gamper (ed.). Lawrence Technological University (2011): 305-313.
- 2010: Iulo, L.D. & Poerschke, U., Committee for Environmentally Conscious Architecture. “Innovation in Education: Implementing Environmentally Conscious Design in Architecture Curricula.” Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Innovation in Architecture, Engineering and Construction, C.J. Anumba, et al. (ed.). Loughborough University, United Kingdom (2010): 487-496.
- 2009: Iulo, L.D. “Low Energy Architecture / Low Energy Living: Strategies for Passive Design at the Urban and Building Scales.” Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture: Architecture, Energy and the Occupant’s Perspective, Claude Demers and Andre Potvin (eds.). Le Presses de l’Universite Laval (2009): 33-38.
- 2009: Iulo, L.D. & Riley, D. “The MorningStar: A Hybrid Concept for Community Building and Renewable Energy,” Proceedings of the 38th National Solar Conference. The American Solar Energy Society, Inc. (2009): Digital publication, 8 pages.
- 2008: Iulo, L.D. & Bertomen, M.C. “Green Foundations: A framework for responsible design,” Proceedings of the 24th National Conference on the Beginning Design Student, (2008): website publication, 8-pages.
- 2011: Union County Housing Authority Energy Efficient Housing Program new duplex and retrofit of two existing homes. Completed 2011. Role: Sustainable Design Specialist/Designer; Architect of record: Office for Planning and Architecture. Awards: Overall Winner, Green Building Award (projects $5 million and under),GBACPA.
- 2010: Village Acres Community Sustained Agriculture master plan for farm-related sustainability education and design of a new FoodShed building, Completed 2010.
- 2009: Hyde-Sheridan Residence, energy efficient renovation of a historic home in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Project completed in June 2009. Role: Designer with Office for Planning and Architecture.
- 2009: Natural Fusion net-zero energy solar home, Architecture Advisor/Co-Investigator to the 2009 Penn State Solar Decathlon team. Awards: Third place, Lighting and Engineering competitions (out of 20), 2009 Solar Decathlon, U.S. Department of Energy National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- 2008: Bedford Mews townhomes, environmentally conscious development in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Initial design and zoning overlay documentation completed in 2008. Role: Designer with Office for Planning and Architecture.
- 2007: MorningStar solar homes, State College PA and Lame Deer, MT. Co-Advisor/Co-Investigator to the 2007 Penn State Solar Decathlon team. Awards: 4th place (out of 20) overall in the international collegiate competition; “Innovation and Design” Sustainable Design Excellence Award, GBACPA.
- 2006: “Green” townhomes at Petersburg Commons, Duncannon PA, “Pennsylvania’s first affordable green housing,” completed in 2006. Role: Designer with Office for Planning and Architecture. Award of Excellence, National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials Agency, (one of 23 projects recognized nationally in 2008).