- Ph.D. in Political Sciences of the Environment, Radboud University Nijmegen (2007)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Hydrology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (1988)
- LARCH 311/321/530 - Regional Planning and Landscape Systems
- LARCH 312/322/540 - Site and Community Design
- LARCH 501 - Research and Writing in Landscape Architecture
- CED 409 - Land Use Planning and Procedure
- CED 155 - Science, Technology and Public Policy
- CEDEV 500 - Community and Economic Development: Theory and Practice
- CEDEV 509 - Population, Land Use, and Municipal Finance
- LARCH 414 - Advanced Landscape Architectural Design
- LARCH 424/530 - Design Theory Seminar "Designing with Scale"
- LARCH 497/510 - Landscape Architecture Seminar
- LARCH 590 - Colloquium "Design Geographies" and "Critical Planning"
- CED 152 - Community Development Concepts and Practice
- CED 309 - Land Use Dynamics
- CED 427W - Society and Natural Resources
- STS 101 - Modern Science, Technology, and Human Values
- HDNRE 590 - Human Dimensions in Natural Resources and the Environment Colloquium
- Land use politics
- Community science, planning, and design
- Science, Technology, and Society (STS) studies and public policy.
Current research: "Teaching Critical Reflexivity in Science-Citizen Interaction" (Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, PI) and "An Engagement Tool for Community Science, Planning, and Design" (College of Arts and Architecture).
Exhibitions + Presentations
Padt, F.J.G. (accepted). An Engagement Tool for community science, planning, and design. 12th Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources hosted by Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, March 8-10, 2018.
- Padt, F.J.G. & M. Bose, Teaching critical reflexivity in science-citizen interaction. Presentation at the International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, June 19-22, 2017 in Umeå, Sweden.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger & M. Bose, Leadership in knowledge exchange for regional development: An educational perspective. Seminar "Exploring Varieties of Leadership in Urban and Regional Development", November 12-13, 2015, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Padt, F.J.G, Territorialization as a tool for change. Presentation at the 21st International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, June 13-18, 2015 in Charleston, South Carolina.
- F.J.G. Padt, Scale research in an interdisciplinary setting, keynote at the 2014-15 Annual Symposium of the Interdisciplinary PhD Program in Urban Design and Planning, May 7, 2015 at the University of Washington, Seattle
- Korostoff, N. & F.J.G. Padt, Scalar narratives in Turkish irrigation practices. Paper for the international conference “Irrigation, Society, Landscape; Tribute to T.F. Glick) from September 25-27, 2014 at the Universitat Politècnica de València (Spain).
- Padt, F.J.G., The Scale of Engagement, Penn State Community and Economic Development Graduate Program 2014 Summer Institute, July 17, 2014.
- Padt, F.J.G., Scale-Sensitive Governance of the Environment. M.E. John seminar, April 4, 2014, Department of Agricultural Economics, Sociology, and Education, Penn State University.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger, Science and citizenship in natural resources education. Paper for the 10th Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources (BCUENR), March 13-15, 2014 at Auburn University, AL.
- Padt, F.J.G. & Luloff, A.E., Organized session: "Using Science in Natural Resources Management", 19th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Estes Park Center, Colorado (USA), June 4-8, 2013.
- Padt, F.J.G & A.E. Luloff, Contested Knowledges in Natural Resource Management, 18th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Edmonton, Alberta (Canada), June 17-21, 2012.
- Padt, F.J.G., contribution to the panel discussion "What is community sustainability?", Penn State Community and Economic Development Graduate Program 2012 Summer Institute, May 14, 2012.
- Padt, F.J.G., The governance of landscapes and livelihoods. What can citizens do?, 16th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Madison, Wisconsin (USA), June 4-8, 2011.
- Padt, F.J.G., Doing scaling and governance analysis, Scaling and Governance Conference, Wageningen UR (Netherlands), November 10-12, 2010.
- Weigle, J., A.E. Luloff & F.J.G. Padt, Scale-sensitive policies towards natural gas extraction in Pennsylvania, USA, Scaling and Governance Conference, Wageningen UR (Netherlands), November 10-12, 2010.
- Padt, F.J.G., Scaling and governance, contribution to the panel discussion "Scale in Multilevel Governance" Université de Genève (Switzerland), June 16, 2010.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J. Westerink, Scaling and governance in peri-urban areas. Matching operational, observational and interpretative scales for effective governance in a case study in The Netherlands, 16th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Corpus Christi, Texas (USA), June 6-10, 2010.
- Horlings, I. & F.J.G. Padt, Leadership for sustainable rural development in a globalizing world, 15th International Symposium on Society and Resource Management in Vienna (Austria), July 5-8, 2009.
- Padt, F.J.G., Integrated water resource management in semi-authoritarian regimes: Lip-service or real progress?, workshop Water Policy Dynamics in State-Centric Regimes, Center for Development Research at the University of Bonn (Germany), March 24-25, 2009.
- Trainer for the course How to institutionalize ‘best’ water management practices? Training course developed for the 5th World Water Forum Learning Centre in Istanbul (Turkey), March 16-22, 2009.
- Moderator workshop Best practices in international water management, International Union for Nature Conservation (IUCN), Barcelona (Spain), October 2-3, 2008.
- Moderator session Environmentalism and the United States at the 16th National Amerikanistendag at Radboud University Nijmegen (the Netherlands), March 17, 2008.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff, A critical review of a managerial approach to community and resource development in the USA and the Netherlands, the XXII European Society for Rural Sociology Congress in Wageningen (the Netherlands), 20-24 August, 2007.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2015). How to scale a territory: Experiences from the United States. Invited contribution to J. Dessein, E. Battaglini & L.G. Horlings (eds.), Cultural Sustainability and Regional Development. Theories and practices of territorialisation, pp. 162-175. Routledge.
Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.) (2014). Scale-sensitive governance of the environment. Edited volume. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G. & B. Arts (2014). The concept of scale. In: Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.),Scale-sensitive Governance of the Environment. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (2014). Synthesis and perspectives for a new research field. In: Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.), Scale-sensitive Governance of the Environment. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2012). Leadership and scale. Invited contribution to M. Sotarauta, I. Horlings, J. Liddle (eds.),Leadership and Change in Sustainable Regional Development. Routledge.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2007). Green planning. An institutional analysis of regional environmental planning in the Netherlands. Dissertation Radboud University Nijmegen. Delft: Eburon.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2006). Regional environmental planning in the Netherlands. An unstable settlement of policy arrangements. In: B. Arts & P.Leroy (eds.), Institutional Dynamics in Environmental Governance. Environment & Policy, pp. 203-223, Vol. 47. Heidelberg: Springer.
- F.J.G. Padt & N. Korostoff (in preparation). Imagining alternative landscapes for Southeastern Anatolia, Turkey.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger & M. Bose (under review). Science and citizens in regional planning education.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J.C. Sanchez (2013). Creating New Spaces for Sustainable Water Management in the Senegal River Basin. Natural Resources Journal, 53 (2), 265-284.
- White paper for the Changing Landscape workshop at the Academic Research Conference in Pittsburgh, PA, May 30-31, 2012, part of the NSF-funded Marcellus Matters Project at Penn State.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J. Westerink (2012). Addressing scale in open space preservation: learning from The Hague Region in the Netherlands. Journal of Economic and Social Geography, 103, 601-614.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff (2011). A critical review of a managerial approach to ‘green’ community planning in the USA and the Netherlands. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 54 (4), 445-456.
- Horlings, I. & F.J.G. Padt (2011). Leadership for sustainable regional development in rural areas: Bridging personal and institutional aspects. Sustainable Development, 21 (6), 413-424.
- Jagt, P. & F.J.G. Padt (2010). Conservation with justice: A rights-based approach applied to The Hague Region, the Netherlands. Case study for the IUCN Right-Based Approach Portal.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff (2009). An institutional analysis of rural policy in the United States. Community Development.Journal of the Community Development Society, 40 (3), 232-246.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2008). Scaling-up water management practices. White paper for the IUCN Water & Nature Initiative.
- Center for Private Forest Affiliate, Penn State University
- Riparian Forest Buffer Advisory Committee, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR)
- Member of the Graduate School
- Department of Landscape Architecture (Graduate Affairs Committee)
- Stuckeman School (Stuckeman Faculty Council, Facilities Committee)
- Department of AESE (CEDEV, Rural Sociology Cluster)
- College of Agricultural Sciences (Non-Tenure Track Faculty Promotion Committee, 3-year appointment)
- Member of Gamma Sigma Delta, The Honor Society of Agriculture
- Judge for the Undergraduate Exhibition, Graduate Exhibition, and the Gamma Sigma Delta Research Expo.
- Reviewer College of Agricultural Sciences Graduate Student Competitive Grant Program.
- Reviewer for Journal of Environmental Sustainability; Regional Studies; Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences; Society & Natural Resources; Journal of Institutional Economics; The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension; Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems; Water Alternatives; Environment and Planning C; Routledge; World Development.