Ann Arbor, MI / Chicago, IL / Madison, WI
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 13 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The SmithGroup Summer Internship Program is dedicated to the advancement of young professionals in the fields of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, and Interior Design. As an intern at SmithGroup, you will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with a wide-range of professionals.
Selected students will spend approximately 12 weeks working as an intern in our Ann Arbor, MI, Madison, WI or Chicago, IL offices. Students will be exposed to both the creative and business environments. Assignments will vary and include project research, site visits, computer production, design reviews, and assisting in marketing efforts. It is expected that candidates have basic hand drawing and computer software skills. Preferably, applicants have experience with AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Trimble SketchUp, Rhino, Vray, Lumion and Microsoft Office programs.
Interns will return to their studies enriched by exposure to peers and professionals, and to the extraordinary opportunities in the profession of their choice.
Working with us, you will:
- Participate in the preparation of concepts, design development and graphic illustrations under direct supervision.
- Participate in design meetings.
- Work with senior landscape architects to compile data and prepare design solutions.
- Work in collaborative integrated teams of professionals that include civil engineers, architects, building systems engineers, planners and environmental scientists.
- Assist in editing technical specifications.
- Assist in reviewing shop drawings.
- Have the opportunity to visit a construction site(s) and/or completed project site(s)
An ideal candidate has:
- Sophomore or junior standing in an accredited landscape architecture undergraduate or graduate program.
- Some previous internship or co-op experience.
- Some experience with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS, SketchUp, Lumion, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Technical knowledge of landscape architecture site development elements.
Please include a brief cover letter including a response to the prompt (one page maximum): Describe a place or experience that has had a profound impact on your decision to become a landscape architect. You will need to supply us with a link to your online portfolio.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, February 1, 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
Interns who are selected to participate in the program will be notified by March 7, 2019
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.