The Arboretum at Penn StateJob Location:
University Park, PA
Application Deadline: Friday, January 26, 2018
PSU Jobs #: 74482
The Office of Physical Plant and The Arboretum at Penn State are offering paid ($10.50/hour) internships for students and recent graduates interested in career paths in horticulture, arboriculture, and nursery production. These are full-time (40 hour/week) positions with a 14-week term from May 7 – August 10, 2018. All internships include an educational component featuring both on-campus sessions and off-site field trips.
Horticulture: This internship provides a hands-on introduction to horticultural and grounds management practices in a public garden setting. Interns work side by side with Arboretum staff to manage day-to-day garden operations throughout the growing season. Highlights include installation of the Arboretum’s summer floral display, supervision of volunteer groups, and skills training in the use of tools and equipment.
Arboriculture: This internship provides a hands-on introduction to arboricultural practices in a public landscape setting. Interns work side by side with Penn State staff arborists to manage day-to-day tree care operations on the University Park campus. Highlights include skills training in tree climbing and rigging, as well as training in the use of tools and equipment.
Nursery Production: This internship provides a hands-on introduction to greenhouse and nursery operations in a public landscape setting. Interns work side by side with Penn State staff horticulturists to manage day-to-day operations at Penn State’s Tower Road Greenhouse complex, which produces ornamental plants for use in landscapes across the University Park campus, including The Arboretum at Penn State. Highlights include hands-on training in annual, perennial, and woody crop production, irrigation systems, and crop planning, as well as training in the use of tools and equipment.
- Applications must be submitted electronically via the Penn State Jobs website at psu.jobs. Instructions for using the PSU Jobs website are available at psu.jobs/faq.
- This position is listed as Job #74482, Office of Physical Plant Intern.
- Applicants must include a cover letter and resume in application materials.
- Applicants must specify in their cover letter which position/s (Horticulture, Arboriculture, Nursery Production) they are interested in. Applicants may indicate more than one area of interest.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for in-person interviews during early March.