San Francisco, CA
SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented, interdisciplinary design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. We are bold innovators and passionate designers of extraordinary places. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world.
The San Francisco office of SmithGroupJJR is at a pivotal moment in building a team for the future of landscape architecture and urban placemaking. The current team is energetic, fun, passionate, and excited about the opportunity to expand SmithGroupJJR’s presence both nationally and regionally in landscape architecture, urban design, and masterplanning, with a primary focus on California and the West Coast.
We are looking for an Intermediate Level Landscape Architect to join our growing team. In collaboration with the Landscape Studio leadership, you will work closely with the rest of the SmithGroupJJR architecture and engineering teams on the concept design and development of recently awarded projects. We are seeking a talented individual that is committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration, and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
The San Francisco Landscape Studio portfolio and current work includes a broad range of urban-based, multidisciplinary public and private realm projects, such as plazas, streetscapes, parks, waterfront, green infrastructure, rooftop gardens, and masterplanning of civic centers, healthcare, university, and corporate campuses.
Your knowledge and skills will include:
- Collaborative and creative design thinker with proven design iteration and problem-seeking (and solving) skills, with an ability to effectively meet demanding deadlines and promote these skills and values within the studio.
- Proactive self-starter, with a positive attitude and ability to work under fast-paced and demanding conditions.
- Exceptionally organized, works independently and collaboratively, active team player, self-motivated, and has a proven ability to mentor and manage landscape design teammates.
- Exceptional hand graphic skills and proficiency in: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS, Rhino, Grasshopper, Sketch-up, and Lumion. An understanding of BIM and Revit are a bonus!
- High level of proficiency in grading, planting, and material design, along with technical detailing of landscape architecture elements.
- Fluency in the English language, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additional languages are a bonus!
- Expansive knowledge of California plant palettes in preparing planting plans and landscape masterplans.
- Broad knowledge of sustainability, integrated design, water conservation, and LEED guidelines.Ability to absorb companywide document standards and implement within the team.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative and Microsoft Office suites.
Your required experience will include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture
- 5+ years of professional experience through all phases of design, including construction
- Experience in preparing design development and construction documents and specifications, with impeccable attention to detail
- Project management, including coordination with consultants, clients, and internally, coordinating the work plan to maintain the staffing, schedule, deliverables, and budget
- Experience in leading and conducting design work sessions, visioning, outreach, and public forums
- Excellent relationship-building skills with a focus on internal and external business development communication
- Experience in marketing efforts, including proposal writing/development, interview participation, and presenting, as well as fee negotiation
- Professional California Landscape Architect (if registered outside of California, a commitment of reciprocity will be required within 6 months of employment), and an active professional member of ASLA
- LEED-accredited professional (if not accredited, credential will be required within 12 months of employment)
Only candidates who meet these requirements will be considered.
** WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY OFFERING VISA SPONSORSHIPS **
SmithgroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroupJJR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.
Instructions for applying – please read carefully.
- Go to www.SmithGroupJJR.com and go to the Careers page / San Francisco.
- On the Intermediate Landscape Architect posting, please click here. Fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter, resume and samples of design work as attachments. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.