Vision2025 in collaboration with the City of Johnstown seeks to fill one or more internships this summer to support the city as it develops a Comprehensive Plan for adoption by the City Planning Commission and City Council later this year.
Johnstown, population 19,000, is classified as a Financially Distressed Municipality by Act 47 of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. To help move the city out of financial distress, Johnstown’s designated Act 47 coordinators have requested that the city complete and adopt a new Comprehensive Plan, which the city has not done for several years.
The Comprehensive Planning process began in Fall 2017 and is expected to be complete by end of Summer 2018, at which time it will be presented for adoption by the City Planning Commission and City Council.
The Comprehensive Plan will address the following objectives:
- Access to City Services
- Downtown Revitalization and Housing
- Neighborhood Development
- Blight Reduction
Each of these planning objectives is being evolved independently by various entities and funding sources, and Vision2025 seeks a planning intern who will help to centrally coordinate all parts of this plan and produce a final planning document which is highly attractive, functional, useful, and legible.
This internship will last for a total of three months, with a monetary stipend provided. The intern will work closely with Vision2025’s project directors, city staff and leadership, and other community stakeholders in coordinating and preparing the final Comprehensive Planning Document(s).
Individual responsibilities may include project management, community outreach, engagement, graphic design, narrative writing, and document assembly.
The ideal candidate...
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be organized, creative, curious, and flexible.
- Must be interested in community engagement, creative problem solving, and working with multiple stakeholders.
- Must be willing to learn new skills
- Must currently be working toward a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, or a related field.