The Arboretum at Penn StateJob Location:
University Park, PA
- Planning and Documentation: Work with supervisor to establish annual project work plans, including location and extent of project work areas, targets and timeframes for invasive plant removal and native plant introduction, and spring procurement lists for desirable woody and herbaceous species. Conduct field inventories of past plantings to determine survival and success rates. Monitor conditions inside and outside deer exclosure to assess extent of deer herbivory.
- Restoration Activities: Lead targeted removal of non-native invasive plants in key woodland and natural areas. Lead efforts to re-establish native plants in these areas, with special emphasis on establishing ephemeral wildflowers for the Gerhold Wildflower Trail project. Identify and facilitate removal of hazardous trees and limbs near walking trails. Lead efforts to maintain and improve walking trails.
- Volunteer Management: Recruit, schedule, and supervise groups of student volunteers for Saturday work sessions during the academic year. Publicize volunteer opportunities through flyers, listserve postings, and via Arboretum website and social media. Plan activities for each session, and coordinate equipment and labor support as needed.
- Project Communication:
- Internal Communication: Schedule quarterly project committee meetings, and distribute agendas, minutes, and other committee materials.
- External Communication: Collaborate in development of educational and interpretive materials, including project signage, a brochure map/guide, and website content. Assist with development and delivery of educational programs, including guided seasonal wildflower walks.
- Applications must be submitted electronically via the Penn State Jobs website at psu.jobs. Instructions for using the PSU Jobs website are available at psu.jobs/faq.
- This position is listed as Job #77096, Natural Areas Program Assistant.
- Applicants must include a cover letter and resume in application materials.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for in-person interviews.