- Ph.D. in Landscape Architecture – University of Oregon
- M.L.A. – Tsinghua University, Beijing
- B.Arch. – Tsinghua University, Beijing
- LARCH 112 - Introductory Design Studio
- LARCH 216/311/321/530/816 - Landscape Systems Studio & Seminar
- LARCH 231/235 – Design Implementation: Grading
- LARCH 336/431/838 – Design Implementation: Stormwater Management
- Wu, H. (PI), Mina, O., McPhillips, L., Brent, D., & Cole, C. A. "Improving Green Stormwater Infrastructure Performance and Cost-effectiveness on Penn State's University Park Campus". Penn State Office of Physical Plant, Penn State. (2019-2020).
- Wu, H. (PI), & Mina, O. "Multi-variate Evaluation of Green Stormwater Infrastructure on Penn State University Campus". E+D: Ecology Plus Design, Penn State. (2018-2019).
- Wu, H. (PI), & Yang, B. "Understanding the State of Landscape Performance and the Impacts of the Case Study Investigation (CSI) Program on Landscape Architecture Practice". E+D: Ecology Plus Design, Penn State. (2019-2010).
- Wu, H. (PI). "Exploring Maintenance-friendly Design for Green Stormwater Infrastructure in Pennsylvania". College of Arts and Architecture, Penn State. (2017-2019).
- Wu, H. (PI). “2017 LAF Case Study Investigation Program”. Landscape Architecture Foundation. 2017. (Selected as one of five research fellows across the nation)
- Smithwick, E. A. H., Zipp, K. Y., Kaye, M. W., Taylor, A. H., Newman, P. B., & Wu, H. (Co-PI). "Firescapes in the mid-Atlantic: mismatches between social perceptions and prescribed fire use". USDI Joint Fire Sciences Program. (2016-2019).
- Mcgraw, E., Rosinger, A., Wu, H. (Co-PI), McPhillips, L., "Healthy Houses, Healthy Communities: Improving Water Management to Enhance Health Outcomes and Global Security," Center for Security Research and Education (CSRE), Penn State. (2019-2020).
- McPhillips, L., Brent, D., Kumar Chaudhary, A., Clark, S. E., Duncan, J. M., Cibin, R., Wu, H. (Co-PI), & Royer, M. "Identifying sweet spots for green stormwater infrastructure interventions in Pennsylvania urban communities". Penn State Institutes of Energy and the Environment, Penn State. (2019-2020).
- Flohr, T. L., Miller, D. A., Wu, H. (Co-PI), & Tebyanian, N. "Developing a computational planting design and decision-making tool for assessing and predicting pollinator habitat resilience". Stuckeman Center for Design Computing, Penn State. (2018-2020).
- Kumar Chaudhary, A., Cibin, R., Duncan, J. M., Royer, M., Grady, C., Echols, S. P., Wu, H. (Co-PI), Curry, K., & Fetter, J. R. "Urban Stormwater Management Initiative". College of Agricultural Sciences Environment and Natural Resources Institute (ENRI), Penn State. (2018-2019).
- Bose, M., Wu, H. (Co-PI), & Bera, A. "Hydrological Corridors and Urban Decisions - A Study of Eastern Canals in Calcutta as Social-Ecological Systems (SES)". E+D: Ecology Plus Design, Penn State. (2018-2019).
- Sun, N., & Wu, H. (Co-PI). Sponsored Research. "Developing a Chinese Landscape Performance Rating System". Beijing Tsinghua Tongheng Urban Planning and Design Institute. (2016-2018).
Honors + Awards
- Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) Case Study Investigation (CSI) Research Fellow, 2017.
- Honor Award, the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) Professional Awards, Analysis and Planning Category, 2012.
- Presidential Award, the 8th International Federation of Landscape Architecture Asian Pacific Region (IFLA APR) Award, Landscape Design Category, 2011.
- Second Prize, Torsanlorenzo International Prize in Section A - Landscape Design in Transformation of the Territory, 2009.
Exhibitions + Presentations
- Wu, H., & Hall, J. 2019. “Exploring Maintenance-friendly Planting Design for Green Stormwater Infrastructure.” Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture 2019 Annual Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 9.
- Smithwick, E. A. H., K. Y. Zipp, H. Wu, M. W. Kaye, A. Taylor, P. B. Newman, Y. H. Shr, A. Zhao, C. Dems, and E. Thurston. 2018. “Firescapes in the Mid-Atlantic: Mismatches between Social Perceptions and Prescribed Fire Use.” The Association of American Geographers 2018 Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, April.
- Wu, H., and C. Silveira. 2018. “Improving Environmental Performance Evaluation of Landscapes: One Metric/Project at a Time.” Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture 2018 Annual Conference, Blacksburg, VA, March 23.
- Wu, H. 2017. “Landscape Performance: One Project at a Time.” Penn State E + D Inaugural Symposium, The developing center of Ecology + Design at Penn State, State College, PA, November 1.
- Wu, H. and R. Henderson, 2017. “Beijing's natural history.” Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture 2017 Annual Conference, Beijing, China, May 29.
- Lenth, J., W. Lucas, D. Ahearn, Y. Yang, and H. Wu, 2016, June. Lesson learned from stormwater management in the United States. Full-day pre-conference workshop at the 2016 International Low Impact Development conference, Beijing, China.
- Wu, H. 2016, June. "Protect stream ecosystem health with integrated stormwater management in the context of urbanization and climate change". International Low Impact Development conference, Beijing, China.
- Wu, H., Y. Zou, L. Liu, and S. Jiang, 2016, June. "Designing rain gardens in north China: lessons learned from pilot projects". International Low Impact Development conference, Beijing, China.
- Lenth, J., C. Hinman, and H. Wu, 2016, June. "A statewide Low Impact Development training and certificate program for Washington State, USA and the potential for its adaptation in China". International Low Impact Development conference, Beijing, China.
- Wu, H., and B. R. Johnson. 2019. Climate Change will both Exacerbate and Attenuate Urbanization Impacts on Streamflow Regimes in southern Willamette Valley, Oregon. River Research and Applications. [forthcoming]
- Wu, H. 2019. Advancing Landscape Performance Evaluation: One Project at a Time. Ecology and Design. State College.
- Wu, H. & C. Silviera. 2017. “Yanxiu Park.” Landscape Performance Series. Landscape Architecture Foundation. https://doi.org/10.31353/cs1310
- Wu, H. & C. Silviera. 2017. “Huludao-Xingcheng Coastal Trail.” Landscape Performance Series. Landscape Architecture Foundation. https://doi.org/10.31353/cs1300
- Wu, H. & C. Silviera. 2017. “TAXI II.” Landscape Performance Series. Landscape Architecture Foundation. https://doi.org/10.31353/cs1290
- Wu, H., J. Bolte, D. Hulse, and B. Johnson. 2015. A scenario-based approach to integrating flow-ecology research with watershed development planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 144, 74-89. DOI:10.1016/j.landurbplan.2015.08.012 (Cover story).
- Lotus Lake National Wetland Park, Tieling, Liaoning, China
- Urban People + Space Rain Garden, Beijing, China
- Dianchi Dounan Wetland Park Planning and Design, Kunming, Yunnan, China
- Tianjing Lake Landscape Planning and Design, Tongling, Anhui, China
- Water Research and Education at Penn State (WREAPS) Steering Committee
- Center for Landscape Dynamics (CLD) Steering Committee
- Ecology plus Design (E+D) Steering Committee
- SALA Career Day Organizing Committee
- SALA Lectures and Exhibitions Planning Committee
- SALA International Student Advisor