- Ph.D., Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus, D
- Dipl. Ing., Technical University of Munich, D
- ARCH 331: Architectural Design III (B.Arch)
- ARCH 332: Architectural Design IV (B.Arch)
- ARCH 480: Technical Systems Integration
- ARCH 497: Environmentally Conscious Design
- ARCH 533: Architectural Design III (M.Arch)
- ARCH 534: Architectural Design IV (M.Arch)
- Architectural Design as a Process of Integration
- Theory of Functionalism
- Relationship of Architecture and Technology
- Energy Simulation as Part of the Design Process
- Building Information Modeling
Funded Research and Projects
- A. William Hajjar’s Air-Wall Project – Studying an Early Example of a Double-skin Façade, Interdisciplinary collaboration with Henry Pisciotta (University Library), Moses Ling (Architectural Engineering), David Goldberg (Landscape Architecture), Mahyar Hadighi (Ph.D. in Architecture candidate), Laurin Goad (Ph.D. in Architectural History candidate). Funded by the Raymond A. Bowers Program, 2015 ($19,652).
- Building-Integrated Wind Energy: Connecting Aesthetics and Performance. Interdisciplinary cooperation with Profs. Jelena Srebric (Architectural Engineering), Susan Stewart (Applied Research Laboratory), Sue Ellen Haupt (Applied Research Laboratory, Meteorology) and Timothy Murtha (Landscape Architecture). Funded by The Stuckeman Collaborative Design Research Fund, The Penn State Sustainability Seed Grant Program, The Raymond A. Bowers Program, and The President’s Fund for Research to Engage Undergraduates in Faculty’s Research Programs, 2010-12 ($53,166).
- Building Information Modeling (BIM): Benchmarking Research and Refinement of the Interdisciplinary BIM Design Studio, Interdisciplinary cooperation with Prof. Robert J. Holland (Architecture and Architectural Engineering, PI), Prof. John I. Messner (Architectural Engineering), Prof. Madis Pihlak (Landscape Architecture and Architecture). The Raymond A. Bowers Program for Excellence in Design and Construction of the Built Environment, 2010 ($ 20,000).
- Environmentally Conscious Architecture and Historical Preservation: The Republic Of Cyprus Presidential Palace. Research Project funded by The Cyprus Institute, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2009 ($11,692).
- Symposium Environmentally Conscious Design - Educating Future Architects. Organization of a symposium on teaching sustainability in architectural design, at The Pennsylvania State University October 23-25, 2009, with speakers from institutions that have been pioneers in sustainable teaching and learning; Cooperation with Prof. Lisa Iulo, Prof. Loukas Kalisperis, Prof. Christine Gorby, Malcolm Woolen, Denson Groenendaal, Charles Cox. Funded by: The Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, The Raymond A. Bowers Program for Excellence in Design and Construction of the Built Environment, Incentives and Innovations Fund, College of Arts and Architecture, and the Stuckeman School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture ($20,365).
- Building Information Modeling (BIM): Creating an Integrated BIM Design Studio. Interdisciplinary cooperation with Prof. Robert J. Holland (Architecture and Architectural Engineering, PI), Prof. John I. Messner (Architectural Engineering), Prof. Madis Pihlak (Architecture), The Raymond A. Bowers Program for Excellence in Design and Construction of the Built Environment, 2009 ($20,000).
- Evaluating the Influence of Building Information Modeling and Energy Simulation Applications on the Architectural Design Process. Autodesk and ACSA Integrated Studio Project, January – May 2008 ($5,000).
- Evaluating the Influence of Energy Simulation on the Architectural Design Process, College of Arts and Architecture 2007/08 Competition for Faculty Research Grants ($7,210).
- Implementing 3D Information Modeling Applications into the Curriculum, Interdisciplinary cooperation with Prof. John Messner (Architectural Engineering), Prof. Tim Murtha (Landscape Architecture), George Otto (Information Technology Systems). The Raymond A. Bowers Program for Excellence in Design and Construction of the Built Environment, 2007/08 ($20,000).
Honors + Awards
- 2014 George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2011 Honorable Mention in the 2011 NCARB Prize Program for Creative Integration of Practice and Education in the Academy
- 2010 AIA BIM Award Category "Academic Program and Curriculum Development"
- 2010 Autodesk BIM Experience Award
Awards in Architectural Competitions
- 2015 Robert-Boehringer-Schule (middle school) in Winnenden, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 1st prize
- 2014 City Hall in Altbach, D, with FPZ-Architekten, honorable mention
- 2013 Werdenfels Museum in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 3rd prize
- 2013 Fritz-Beck-Schule (middle school) in Landsberg, D, with FPZ-Architekten, runner-up
- 2011 Dahlmann Schle (highschool) in Frankfurt, D, 4th prize
- 2010 City Center Neufinsing, D, urban planning competition, with FPZ-Architekten, honorable mention
- 2010 Senior Center and its Urban Context in Gundelsheim, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 2nd prize
- 2010 Elementary School with Gymnasium, Natatorium, and Day Care Center in Frankfurt, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 2nd prize
- 2009 Student Hostel in Augsburg, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 5th prize
- 2008 Enlargement of the Veitsburg (Youth Hostel) in Ravensburg, D, with FPZ-Architekten, runner-up
- 2007 Bridge in Salzburg, A, with FPZ-Architekten, 3rd rank 2006 Penn State Faculty Charrette, 3rd prize
- 2005 Archives in Essen, D, with FPZ-Architekten, runner–up
- 2003 Refectory in Martinsried, D, with FPZ-Architekten, 5th prize
- 2002 City Center in Regensburg, D, with S. Zwink, 4th prize
- 2001 Housing in Munich, D, with K. Friedrich, S. Hoff, and S. Zwink, 1st prize
- 2000 Horticultural Show in Riem, D, with D. Straub (L.Arch.), runner–up
- 1998/99 Housing in Weißenfels, D, (Eurpoan 5), 1st prize
Publications in Architectural Theory
- Poerschke, U. (2016): Architectural Theory of Modernism. Relating Functions and Forms. Translation of Funktionen und Formen (see below), translated and modified by Steven Lindberg and Ute Poerschke. New York: Routledge.
- Poerschke, U., Feldhusen, S. (ed.) (2015): Between Architecture and Landscape Architecture, theme issue of Wolkenkuckucksheim | Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, vol.20, nr. 34.
- Poerschke, U., Schürer, O. (ed.) (2014): Theorizing Technology in Architecture and Urbanism, theme issue of Wolkenkuckucksheim | Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, vol.19, nr. 33.
- Poerschke, U. (2014): Funktionen und Formen, Architekturtheorie der Moderne. Bielefeld: Transcript.
- Poerschke, U. (2013): "On Concrete Materiality in Architecture," Architectural Research Quarterly ARQ, vol. 17, nr. 2, pp. 149-56.
- Poerschke, U., Führ, E. (ed.) (2012), Purpose, Function, Use in Architecture and Urbanism, theme issue of Wolkenkuckucksheim | Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, vol. 17, nr. 1.
- Poerschke, U. (2012): "Architecture as a Mathematical Function: Reflections on Gottfried Semper," Nexus Network Journal: Architecture and Mathematics, vol. 14, nr. 1, pp. 119-234.
- Poerschke, U. (2011): "Francesco Milizia e l'idea di funzione e rappresentazione," in: Marco Russo (ed.): Francesco Milizia e il teatro del suo tempo: Architettura, Musica, Scena, Acustica; Trento: Editrice Universita di Trento, pp. 89-102.
- Poerschke, U. (2011): "Architektur als mathematische Funktion. Überlegungen zu Gottfried Semper," in: M. Eggers (ed.): Von Ähnlichleiten und Unterschieden. Vergleich, Analogie, Klassifikation in Wissenschaft und Literatur; Heidelberg: Universitätsverlag Winter, pp. 119-39.
- Poerschke, U. (2009): "'Stein nicht Stein? Holz nicht Holz?' - Zur konkreten Materialität von Architektur," in: Wolkenkuckucksheim | Cloud-Cuckoo-Land, vol. 14, nr. 1: Das Konkrete und die Architektur/Concreteness in Architecture, edited by S. Hauser and C. Dreyer.
- Poerschke, U. (2009): "Form-Funktion-Verknüpfungen in der Architektur (Form-Function-Relationships in Architecture)," in: S. Muhr; W. Windorf (ed.): Wahrheit und Wahrhaftigkeit in der Kunst von der frühen Neuzeit bis heute, Berlin: Reimer, pp. 73-84.
- Poerschke, U. (2009): "Transfer wissenschaftlicher Funktionsbegriffe in die Architekturtheorie des 18.Jahrhunderts (The Transfer of Scientific Terms of Function to 18th Century Architectural Theory)," in: M. Eggers; M. Rothe (ed.): Wissenschaftsgeschichte als Begriffsgeschichte, Bielefeld: Transcript, pp. 193-211.
- Poerschke, U. (2007): "Hannes Meyer - Connecting Poetics and Ethics," Proceedings of the Conference "Reconciling Poetics and Ethics in Architecture" at the Canadian Centre for Architecture CCA and McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Poerschke, U. (2007): "Über architektonische Strukturen - Architectural Structures," in: D. Eberle; P. Simmendinger: Von der Stadt zum Haus. Eine Entwurfslehre - From the city to the house. A design theory, Zürich: gta, pp. 82-95.
- Poerschke, U. (2007): "Rethinking Function," Proceedings of the ARCC/EAAE 2006 Conference at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 206-13.
Publications on Environmentally Conscious Design
- Poerschke, U., Gampfer, S. (ed.) (2013), Environmentally Conscious Architecture, special issue of Buildings, editorial pp. 766-70.
- Rekstad N.M., Srebric J., Poerschke U. (2013): "Microcliamte Analyses for the Design of Building-Integrated Wind Turbines," in: Chimay Anumba and Ali M. Memari (ed.): AEI 2013. Building Solutions for Architectural Engineering, pp. 604-13.
- Leicht R., Messner J., Poerschke U. (2012): "INVOLVE: Developing Interactive Workspaces that impact Communication and Task Performance when using Virtual Prototypes," Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
- Poerschke, U. (ed.) (2011): "Wind Turbine Integration in Architecture and the Built Environment," exhibition catalog, State College (85 pages). See also: www.wind.psu.edu.
- Poerschke, U.; Kalisperis, L.; Santamouris, M.; Spanou, A. (2011): "Design Approaches for Upgrading Historically Significant Architecture Toward Zero-Energy: The Republic of Cyprus Presidential Palace," in: M. Bodart and A. Evrard (ed.): Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture PLEA, Presses Universitaires de Louvain, pp.527-32.
- Poerschke, U.; Woollen, M.; Stewart, S.; Srebric, J.; Murtha, T. (2011): "Design Investigations on Building-Integrated Wind Energy: Lessons from an Architecture Studio," Proceedings of the 2011 American Solar Energy Society (ASES) Conference, Raleigh, NC, pp.955-62.
- Poerschke, U. (2009): "Simulationsprogramme für Umweltsensitives Entwerfen - Simulation Applications for Environmentally Sensitive Design," in: Bauhaus Universität Weimar (ed.): Proceedings of the 2nd Bauhaus Solar Conference, Weimar (CD-ROM).
- Bambardekar, S.; Poerschke, U. (2009): "The Architect as Performer of Energy Simulation in the Early Design Stage," in: P. Strachan, N. Kelly, M. Kummert (ed.): Building Simulation 2009: Proceedings of the 11th International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA) Conference at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, pp. 1306-13.
- Poerschke, U.; Kalisperis, L. (2008): "Integrating Energy Simulation Applications and Building Information Modeling in the Design Studio," in: Roaf, S., Bairstow, A. (ed.): The Oxford Conference. A Re-Evaluation of Education in Architecture, Southampton: WITPress, pp. 307-10.
- Poerschke, U.; Kalisperis, L. (2007): "BIM: Defining Opportunities for Environmentally Sensitive Design," in: Wittkopf, St., Tan, B. (ed.): Sun, Wind and Architecture. The Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture PLEA, Singapore, pp. 302-8.
Publications on Teaching Architecture
- Iulo L., Gorby C., Poerschke U., Kalisperis L., Woollen M. (2013): "Environmentally Conscious Design - Educating Future Architects," International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education IJSHE, vol. 14, nr. 4, pp. 434-48.
- Messner, J.; Holland, R.; Poerschke, U.; Parfitt, K.; Pihlak, M. (2011): "Educating the Master Building Team: Leveraging BIM to Enable the Development of Collaborative Knowledge,: in: BIM in Academia, edited by Peggy Deamer and Phillip G. Bernstein, New Haven: Yale School of Architecture, pp.57-67.
- Pihlak, M., Deamer, P., Holland, R., Poerschke, U., Messner, J., Parfitt, K. (2011): “Building Information Modeling (BIM) and the Impact on Design Quality,” In: Journal of Architectural Engineering Technology JAET, vol.1, nr.101.
- Poerschke, U.; Holland, R.; Messner, J.; Pihlak, M. (2010): "BIM Collaboration Across Six Disciplines," in: Tizani, W. (ed.): Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering; Nottingham: University of Nottingham Press, pp.575-80.
- Committee for Environmentally Conscious Architecture; Iulo, L.; Poerschke, U. (2010): "Innovation in Education: Implementing Environmentally Conscious Design in Architecture Curricula," in: Anumba, C., et al. (ed.): Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Innovation in Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC); Loughborough, UK, pp.487-96.
- Poerschke, U. (2007): "Teaching the Relation of Environmental Sensitivity and Conceptual Design," in: Wittkopf, St.; Tan, B. (ed.): Sun, Wind and Architecture. The Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture PLEA, Singapore, pp. 699-705