- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) 2013. University of Michigan
- Master in Design Studies (M.Des.S.) 2006. Harvard University
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) 1994. Carnegie Mellon University
- Arch 331/332: Third Year Design Studio
- Arch 533: Graduate Design Studio
- Arch 311w: Architectural and Planning Theories
Social structures of the built environment, organizational theory, societal norms and conventions, social barriers to environmental sustainability, institutional logics of design/design thinking, crossprofessional understanding, institutional & social change.
Honors + Awards
- 2011 with Raghu Garud. Interdisciplinary Design Summit Award. “Institutional logics and design thinking across disciplines.” Center for Design Research and Innovation, Pennsylvania State University
- 2010 Rackham Dissertation Fellowship, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan
- 2010 with T.W. Simpson, S.T. Hunter, E.C. Kisenwether, G.E. Okudan Kremer, S.E. Rzasa Zappe, S.Gunnar Bilén, C.R. Bryant Arnold, D.J. Celento, C.J. Lissenden, T.A. Litzinger, M.B. Parkinson, R.J. Schuhmann, and D.E. Willis. National Science Foundation STEM Talent Expansion Program (NSF 10-569), “Designing Pathways to Innovation: A Multi-University EHR-ENG STEP Center for Educating Innovative Engineers.” pre-preposal acceptance.
- 2010 A&A Research Grant, “Constructing Green: The Social Construction of Green Building.” College of Arts & Architecture, Pennsylvania State University
- 2009 – 2010 Graham Graduate Fellowship, Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute
- 2009 – 2010 Top Ten Downloaded Papers, Social Science Research Network (CGN: The Environment). for "Overcoming the Social and Psychological Barriers to Green Building".
- 2008 ICOS Research Grant, Interdisciplinary Committee on Organization Studies, University of Michigan, “Social and Psychological Barriers to Green Construction”
- 2008 Third Place, Oikos Case Writing Competition, Oikos International. “Living Homes” CHF 1,000 (Swiss Francs) monetary prize.
- 2007 – 2008 Erb Institute Doctoral Fellow, Frederick A. and Barbara M. Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise, University of Michigan
- 2007 Alvan Macauley Scholarship, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan
- 2006 Gerald M. McCue Medal, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University
- 2003 Red House Communications, (with David Celento), Pittsburgh Platforms ExhibitHeinz Architectural Center, Carnegie Museum of Art.
- 2003 1:2|1:3 (with David Celento) Pittsburgh Center for the Arts Biennial
- 2002 Superior Interiors competition, Pittsburgh Magazine. Winner and cover photo, March
- 1999 Historic Preservation Award Pittsburgh Historic Review Commission. Children's Museum Renovations
- 1998 Young Architects. American Institute of Architects Gallery Exhibit.
- 1993 – 1994 Fifth Year Scholar, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1993 SURG (Small Undergraduate Research Grant), Carnegie Mellon University
Exhibitions + Presentations
- 2013 (August) “Activating Professional Resources in the Negotiation of Jurisdictional Boundaries.” Academy of Management Meeting, Organization & Management Theory Division, Orlando, Florida.
- 2013 “Conflict, Compromise, and Coalition: Inhabiting Institutional Complexity.”European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium, Logics, Orders of Worth, Leitideen Paper Development Workshop, Montréal, Quebec, Canada.
- 2013 “Good, fast, and cheap... and green? Producing buildings in a plural institutional environment.” European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium, Creativity, Aesthetics, and Business Sub-Theme, Montréal, Quebec, Canada.
- 2012 “Border patrol: Emergent Jurisdiction in the Fragmented Field of Building Design and Construction.” European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium ‘Design!?’, Helsinki, Finland.
- 2012 “Methodological Challenges When Studying Temporary Project-Based Industries”Industry Studies Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2012 “Environmental Sustainability`s Professional Fracturing” Industry Studies Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2012 with Beth Duckles. “Green Space: The Semiotics of Sustainable Buildings.”Organizations as Spaces of Work Conference, Rhodes, Greece.
- 2012 moderator, “Design-Build projects” National Conference on the Beginning Design Student ‘Realizing the Sustainable Imagination’ University Park, Pennsylvania.
- 2011 with David Celento. “Nimble Shelters: Harnessing Open Source Potentials and International Standards to Facilitate Diverse Shelters.” Respecting Fragile Places Conference, eCAADe, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- 2011 session chair, "Social Movements and New Industry Emergence." Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, San Antonio, Texas.
- 2011 with Jeffrey York. “Collective Institutional Entrepreneurship: The founding of the U.S. Green Building Council.” Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, San Antonio, Texas.
- 2011 Interdisciplinary Design Summit, Center for Design Research and Innovation, Pennsylvania State University.
- 2010 "Building Organizational Change," Knowledge Collaboration & Learning for Sustainable Innovation, European Roundtable on Sustainable Consumption and Production (ERSCP) and Environmental Management for Sustainable Universities (EMSU), Delft, Netherlands.
- 2010 "Processing Identity Through Organizational Change: From ‘Over the Transom’ to ‘Integrated Design’," Second International Symposium on Process Organization Studies, Rhodes, Greece. Abstract Accepted, unable to attend symposium due to travel conflicts.
- 2010 "Processing Identity Through Organizational Change: From ‘Over the Transom’ to ‘Integrated Design’" Institutions and Work Conference, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- 2010 "Peering into the Future," Institutions and Work Conference, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Invited Plenary Comments.
- 2010 "Constructing Green: Claiming Professional Territory in Green Building,"Constructions Matter, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2010 Workshop: Driving Innovation Through Design, Segal Design Institute, National Science Foundation Award #1019226, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- 2009 "Constructing Green: Claiming Professional Territory in Green Building,"Organizational Research Group (ORG), Smeal College of Business, Department of Management and Organizations, University Park, PA.
- 2009 "Visual Arguments: The Messy Yet Refined Culture of Design," PhD Sustainability Academy: Design for Sustainability, Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario.
- 2009 with Linda Forbes, "Constructing Green," All-Academy Symposium with panelists David Orr (Oberlin College), Candace Jones (Boston College), Marilyn Engwall, (City of Chicago), Christine Mondor, (Carnegie Mellon University), Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Chicago, Illinois,.
- 2009 "Celento Henn Architects + Designers: The Andy Warhol Museum’s Possession Obsession Exhibit," Interdisciplinary Design Workshop, National Science Foundation CMMI Grantees Conference, Honolulu, Hawai'i. Invited speaker.
- 2009 “Visual Arguments: The Messy Yet Refined Culture of Design," Business as an Agent of World Benefit Conference, Weatherhead School of Business, Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio.
- 2008 “Regional Centers for Sustainable Building,” Facilitating Sustainable Innovations, Greening of Industry Network, Leeuwarden, Netherlands.
- 2008 Workshop: Interdisciplinary Graduate Design Programs, National Science Foundation Award #0829557, Arlington, Virginia.
- 2008 “Sustainable: Professional,” Alumni Meeting, Department of Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
- 2008 “Center for Ceramic Craft,” Guest Architectural Studio Critic, Cornell University, Instructor: Joshua Stein
- 2008 “Transformative Real Estate” Global Urban Symposium, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan. Invited speaker.
- 2007 “Random Rules,” Guest Architectural Studio Critic, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Instructor: Monica Ponce de Leon
- 2006 “Everybody Loves Frank” Guest Architectural Studio Critic, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Instructor: Mack Scogin, FAIA.
- 2003 – 2005 “Why pursue green building?” Guest lecture. LEED Buildings and Green Design. Graduate and undergraduate elective course. Carnegie Mellon University. Instructor: Azizan Aziz.
- 2000 – 2005 “Why pursue green building?” Guest Lecture. Architecture for Non-Majors. Undergraduate elective course. Carnegie Mellon University. Instructor: David Celento.
- 2013 Henn, Rebecca L. & Andrew J. Hoffman (eds.) Constructing Green: The Social Structures of Sustainability. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 2013, reprint Hoffman, Andrew J. & Rebecca Henn. “Overcoming the Social and Psychological Barriers to Green Building.” In John M. Jermier (Ed.), Corporate Environmentalism and the Greening of Organizations, vol 3: xxx-xxx. London: Sage.
- 2011, reprint Henn, Rebecca & Andrew J. Hoffman, “LivingHomes.” In Jost Hamschmidt and Michael Pirson (eds.), Case Studies in Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability: The oikos collection, Volume 2. Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing: 370-416.
- 2010 Henn, Rebecca. “Border Patrol: Professional Jurisdictions in Sustainable Urban Environments.” Architectural Research Centers Consortium Journal. (7)1: 1-11.
- 2010 Henn, Rebecca. “Aftermarkets: The Messy Yet Refined Logic of Design.” Journal of Corporate Citizenship. (37): 41-54.
- 2010 Willis, Daniel E., Timothy W. Simpson, Rebecca Henn, Samuel T. Hunter, Matthew B. Parkinson, David J. Celento, Russell R. Barton, Sandeep Purao, "From Border Skirmishes to Strategic Alliances: Barriers to Design Innovation and Collaboration Between Architects and Engineers, and an Opportunity for Moving Beyond Them," Innovation in Architecture, Engineering and Construction Conference Proceedings: 54-64.
- 2008 Hoffman, Andrew J. & Rebecca Henn. “Overcoming the Social and Psychological Barriers to Green Building.” Organization & Environment. 21(4): 390-419. Citations as of July 2013: 56 (source: Google Scholar).
- 2008 Henn, Rebecca. LivingHomes case study # 1-428-714 (Ann Arbor, MI: Erb Institute, William Davidson Institute, University of Michigan, 2008), written under supervision of Andrew J. Hoffman. Third prize winner in the 2008 Oikos International Case Competition.
Partial list with Celento Henn Architects + Designers unless otherwise noted
Museum and Theatres
- Possession Obsession exhibit, The Andy Warhol Museum
- Pittsburgh A-Z, Heinz History Center
- City Theatre
- Pittsburgh Children's Museum
- Dinosaurs in their World, Carnegie Museums, LEED-EB Silver (with Burt, Hill and Verner Johnson)
- Andrea Rosen Gallery (with Gluckman Mayner)
- Luhring Augustine Gallery (with Gluckman Mayner)
Retail and Restaurant
- Piaggio Vespa
- BMW Motorcycles
- Vallozzi's Restaurant
- Gianni Versace (with Gluckman Mayner Architects)
Office and School
- Building Green, Inc.
- Western Pennsylvania Montessori School
- Red House Communications
- Pressley Ridge Schools
- Agnew Moyer Smith
- School of Oceanography, University of Washington (with Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
- Aristech Chemical Corporation (with Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
- ABB Extrel Corporation (with Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
- Gilmer Hall, University of Virginia (with Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
- Daxus Corporation (with Bohlin Cywinski Jackson)
2010 BuildingGreen, Inc., Strategic Planning, Advisor, Garrison, New York.
2010 Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Strategic Planning, Advisor, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2008 Committee on the Environment (COTE), American Institute of Architects “Top Ten” Awards Jury Member, Seattle, Washington.
2005 Carnegie Mellon Architecture Archives, 100 Years of Student Work Exhibit,Assistant, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2004 – 2005 Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Board Trustee, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2003 – 2005 American Institute of Architects, Secretary, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2002 – 2005 American Institute of Architects, Board Member, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2002 – 2004 Tri-AIA Educational Conference, Co-Chair, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
1997 Pittsburgh Intern and Young Architect Forum, Co-Founder, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
1994–1997 Renovation Information Network, Community Design Center of PittsburghVolunteer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
1995 Alan Chu: A Retrospective, American Institute of Architects Gallery. Co-Curator, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2012 – present Scholarship and Awards Committee, College of Arts and Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2010 – present Interdisciplinary Graduate Program, planning committee member, The Pennsylvania State University.
2011 – 2012 Lectures and Exhibitions Committee, Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2010 Strategic Planning Committee, Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2009 – 2012 Graduate Affairs Committee, Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2009 – 2012 Recruitment Committee, Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2008 Stuckeman Endowment Task Force, College of Arts and Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2008 Stuckeman School Vision Committee, Chair, College of Arts and Architecture, The Pennsylvania State University.
2006 – 2007 Promotion and Tenure Committee, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan, Student Member.