- Ph.D., Architectural Design and Information Systems (interdisciplinary) (1988) - The Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., Architectural Engineering (1985) - The Pennsylvania State University
- B.Arch. (1983) - NYIT
- ARCH 231/232 - Architectural Design I/II
- ARCH 481 - Digital Design Media
Kalisperis has completed research in the areas of integrating digital technology in design and digital representation and visualization techniques, which can define a framework that would allow for a shift in the use of digital media to conceptualization and exploration. He is currently involved in research for immersive environments, multimodal representation, cultural heritage visualization, and augmented representation and energy simulation. Current work investigates the manner in which the limits of human visual perception must be taken into consideration in developing worthwhile computer-representation models. Additional research topics include energy simulation in the design process and sustainable built environment in the urban fabric.
Honors + Awards
Kalisperis was co-chair of ACADIA '95, an international conference of the Association of Computer-Aided Design in Architecture and co-editor of the book: Computing in Design: Enabling, Capturing and Sharing Ideas. He was the co-chair of VSMM 08, an international conference on virtual reality and multimedia, with emphasis on cultural heritage. He has been on the scientific committees of numerous conferences and symposia on digital media in architecture and cultural heritage. He is an International Fellow of the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois. He was the recipient of the 2005 President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Integration and the 2000 Apple Distinguished Educator Award. He guest co-edited special volumes of the journals Automation in Construction and The International Journal of Architectural Computing on computer-based design aids and cultural heritage. Kalisperis served on the editorial board of IJAC. In August of 1999, Apple Corporation elected Kalisperis as an Apple Distinguished Educator. He holds visiting positions in the graduate programs in architecture at the University of Brasilia, the National Technical University of Greece, and the University of Bahia.
- Kalisperis, L. N., B. Kolarevic, B. Johnson, Automation in Construction, Elsevier Press, The Netherlands, Vol. 5, No. 3, September 1996.
- Kolarevic, B., Kalisperis, L. N., ACADIA Quarterly, Los Angeles, Vol. 15, No. 1, Winter 1996.
- Kalisperis, L. N., G. Proctor, International Journal of Architectural Computing. Multi-Science, United Kingdom, Issue 06, Vol. 02, Spring 2005.
- Kalisperis, L. N., M. Ioannides, International Journal of Architectural Computing. Multi-Science, United Kingdom, Issue 014, Vol. 02, Spring 2007.
Exhibitions + Presentations
Digital Studio - Digital Fabrication, University of Crete, Greece, May 2006
Digital Studio Work, CAC-The Pennsylvania State University, October 1999
Computer Representations, Student Work, ACADIA Gallery, University of Washington, Seattle, October 1995
Architecture and Digital Imaging, Recent Student Work, ACE Gallery, Baltimore, June 1995
Elastic Visions, Computer-based Representation, Zoller Gallery, The Pennsylvania State University, October-November 1994
Recent Works by Students of the Architecture Department - ACL ComCAD exhibited at COMDEX, Las Vegas, Nevada, November 1985
Multiple Hands at Work - New Technology in the Educational Work Place, presentation of computer-aided design processes at the Triennale of Milan Exhibition, Milan, Italy, May-September 1986
“Architectural Design and Immersive Environments,” 5th EREG - Encontro Regional de Expressao Grafica, Salvador, Brazil, August 10, 2006
“Digital Evolution - Architecture in the Millenium,” University of Cyprus, and Cypriot Society of Architects, February 7, 2007
“Digital Design Fabrication and Immersive Environments,” University of Crete, Architecture and Planning, April 16, 2005
“Architectural Digital Design and Immersive Environments,” University of Brazilia, Architecture, August 23, 2006
“Digital Architectures and Design,” Catholic University, Architecture, May 105, 2003
“Digital Design Studio and Immersive Environments,” University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Architecture and Planning, July 18, 2003
"Digital Sketching in Architecture," Kansas State University, Architecture and Planning, February 22, 2000
"Sketching in a Digital Environment," University at Buffalo, Graduate School of Architecture, March 23, 2000
"Digital Architecture," Texas A&M University, Architecture, April 25, 2000
"Digital Sketching," University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Fine Arts, February 8, 1999
"Digital Design Studio," School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens, March 21, 1998
"Architecture in the Era of Information Technology," Greek Institute of Architects Lecture Series, April 15, 1998
- Ioannidis, M., Addison, A., Georgakopoulos, A., Kalisperis, L., Brown, A., and Pitzalis, D. Heritage in the Digital Era, Essex, UK: Multi-Science, 2011
- Ioannidis, M., Addison, A., Georgakopoulos, A., and Kalisperis, L., Digital Heritage, Budapest, Hungary: Archaeolingua, 2009
- Ioannidis, M., Addison, A., Georgakopoulos, A., and Kalisperis, L., Virtual Systems and Multimedia on Cultural Heritage, Budapest, Hungary: Archaeolingua, 2008
- Kalisperis, L. N., “Fundamentals of Computer-Aided Design: An Introduction to Computers in Architecture,” John Wiley & Sons,
- James, A., Kalisperis, L. N. “Use of House and Space,” in Houses: The Material Dimension of Europe, D. Birdwell-Pheasant and D. Lawrence (eds.), Oxford: Berg Press, 1999
- Kalisperis, L. N., Kolarevic B., Computing in Design: Sharing, Capturing, and Enabling Ideas, ACADIA Press, Seattle: Washington, 1995
- Kalisperis, L. N., contributor, Chapter 15, in ASHRAE 1992, Systems & Applications Handbook, ASHRAE, Atlanta: ASHRAE Publications, 1992
- Kalisperis, L. N., Summers, L. H., and Steinman, M. “A Human Thermal Response Design Model for Non-orthogonal Spaces,” in Performance Measurement Applications, Y. E. Kalay, (ed.), pp. 271-283, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1991
- L. Iulo, U. Poerschke, C. Gorby, L. Kalisperis, M. Woollen, Environmentally Conscious Design: Educating Future Architects, in: International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education IJSHE , vol. 14:2, pp. 2013
- Balakrishnan, B., Kalisperis, L., Oprean, D., Applied Research, Design Exploration, Education Building Affordable VR Environments for Education and Research, Human Factors and Ergonomics (HFES) Proceedings, 2012
- Poerschke, U., L. Kalisperis, “BIM: Defining Opportunities for Environmentally Sensitive Design,” PLEA 2007, Singapore, November 2007
- Balakrishnan, B. Kalisperis, L., K. Muramoto, “Spatial Presence: Explication from an Architectural Point of View for Enhancing Design Visualization Tools,” ACADIA 2007, Halifax, Canada, October 2007
- Balakrishnan, B. Kalisperis, L., K. Muramoto, “Implications of representation-presentation distinction in developing a presentation environment for CAAD,” eCAADe 2007, Wiesbaden, Germany, Spetember 2007
- Balakrishnan, B., L. Kalisperis, K. Muramoto, G. Otto “Digital representations! At what cost? A variable-centered approach for empirically studying impact of digital representations,” CAAD Futures 2007, Sydney, Australia, June 2007
- Balakrishnan, B., L. Kalisperis, S. Shyam Sundar “Capturing Affect in Architectural Visualization: The Case for Integrating 3-dimensional Visualization and Psychophysiology,” eCAADe 2006, Volos, Greece, September 2006, pp 664-670
- Kalisperis, L. , B. Balakrishnan, K. Muramoto, D. Nikolic, and N. Zikic “Evaluating Relative Impact of Virtual Reality System Variables on Architectural Design Comprehension and Presence,” eCAADe 2006, Volos, Greece, September 2006, pp 66-73
- Kalisperis, L. , “Virtual Reality and Architectural Design Comprehension,” EREG 2006, Educacao Grafica, Perspectiva Historica and Evolucao, Salvador, Brazil, August 2006, pp. 25-39
- Kalisperis, L. , B. Balakrishnan, K. Muramoto, and G. Otto “Multimodal Virtual Reality Environment for Architectural Design (re)Presentation,” CAADRiA 2006, Kumamoto, Japan, April 2006
- Kalisperis, L. , B. Balakrishnan, and K. Muramoto “Evaluating Workflow and Modeling Strategies of Pen Computing in the Beginning Architectural Design Studio,” eCAADe 2005, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2005
- Kalisperis, L. , G. Otto, and J. Messner “Expanding the Boundaries of Virtual Reality for Building Design and Construction,” ASCE-ICCC 2005, Cancun, Mexico, July 2005
- Kalisperis, L., Otto, G., Gundrum, J., Muramoto, K., Stone, M., Burris, G., Masters, R., Slobounov, E., and Agarwala, V., “A Commodity Computing, Integrated Multimedia and Open-source Approach for Accessible VR Systems Deployment in University Teaching and Research,” VR 2004, Chicago, IL, March 2004
- James, A., James, D., and Kalisperis, L., “Unique Art Form: The Freezes of Pyrgi,” Leonardo, Vol. 47, No. 2, June 2004
- James, D., Kalisperis, L., & James, A., “The Mathematics of Color-Reversing Decorative Friezes: Facades of Pirgi, Greece.” Meeting Alhambra: ISAMA/BRIDGES Proceedings, Granada, Spain, July 2003.
- Otto, G., Kalisperis, L., Gundrum, J., Muramoto, K., Burris, G., Masters, R., Slobounov, E., Heilman, J. and Agarwala, V., “The VR Desktop: An Accessible Approach to VR Environments in Teaching and Research,” International Journal of Architectural Computing, Issue 2, Vol. 1, July 2003
- Kalisperis, L., Otto, G., Gundrum, K., Muramoto, K., Burris, G., Masters, R., Slobounov, E., and Heilman, J., “The VR-Desktop: An Easy-to-Use and Modular Approach for Use of VR Techniques in Teaching,”ACADIA Bits, September 2003
- Otto, G., Kalisperis, L., Muramoto, K. and Gundrum, J., “Affordable and Accessible VR Systems for Undergraduate Architectural Design Education and Research at Penn State,” CONVR: Conference on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, September 2003
- Kalisperis, L., Otto, G., Muramoto, K., Gundrum, J., Masters, R., and Orland, B. "An Affordable Immersive Environment in Beginning Design Studio Education," ACADIA02, Pomona, CA, October 2002
- Kalisperis, L., Otto, G., Muramoto, K., Gundrum, J., Masters, R., and Orland, B. "Virtual reality/Space Visualization in Design Education,” The VR-Desktop Initiative," eCAADe 20, Warsaw, Poland, September 2002
- Kalisperis, L., Otto, G., and Muramoto, K. "An Immersive Design Studio" ArchitectureWeek, Eugene, Oregon, October, 23, 2002
- Kalisperis, L.N., "Digitizing the Practice of Architecture", in Reinventing the Discourse, pp 88-90, Winter 2001
- International Journal of Architectural Computing Editorial Board, member, 2003-present.
- Republic of Cyprus - University Accreditation Committee, Design Curricula Team, Member, 1996, Chair, 1997, 1999-present.
- Virtual Library, ACADIA International Competition 1999, Organizing Committee Member.
- Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, Member, 1995-1997, 2005-present Steering Committee Member.
- ACADIA ‘95 Co-Editor, Co-Chair.
- University Accreditation Team, Republic of Cyprus, Design Team, Chair, March 1996 and October 1997.
- Greek Institute of Architects.