- B.S., Syracuse University
- ARCH 491 (Architectural Design VII- Thesis)
- ARCH 497B (Environmental Thinking in the 21st Century)
- ARCH 550 (Ethics in Architecture)
- Green Architecture
- Environmental Art
- Landscape Design
- Product Design
Honors + Awards
- 2013 Smithsonian Institution National Design Award for Lifetime Achievement
- Wines is winner of more than 25 art and design awards – including the 1995 Chrysler Award for Design Innovation (USA) and the 2011 ANCE Award for an International Architect (Italy) – James Wines was honored in 2002 with a large retrospective exhibition at the Centre FRAC in France, jointly sponsored by Centre Pompidou in Paris and the Musée des Beaux Arts in Orleans.
- His graphic work has been shown in more than 150 museums and galleries in the USA, Europe, and Asia. The most recent exhibition of his drawings, bridging from 1970 to the present, was on view during the winter of 2013 at the Atrium Gallery, City College of New York.
- Drawings and models can be found in numerous public and private collections, including the Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum, Centre Pompidou, FRAC, Louvre, Victoria and Albert Museum, Australian National Gallery, Tokyo National Gallery, Art Institute of Chicago and others.
Exhibitions + Presentations
Wines has delivered lectures at 800 colleges, universities, and professional conferences in 52 countries.
- HIGHLIGHTS OF WORLD ARCHITECTURE – 2001 – Survey of world architecture book – Dumont Verlag Publishers: Berlin, Germany – Foreword essay – In English, French and German versions
- GREEN ARCHITECTURE – 2000 – Historical and philosophical book on architecture and its relation to the natural environment, with an emphasis on contemporary environmental architects – Taschen Verlag Publishers: Cologne, Germany – in English, French, German, Spanish versions
- MASSIMILIANO FUKSAS – 1998 – Book in a series called “Contemporary World Architects” – Rockport Publishers: USA – Foreword essay on Fuksas’ work
- JAMES CUTLER – 1997 – Book in a series called “Contemporary World Architects” – Rockport Publishers: USA – Foreword essay on Cutler’s work
- DE-ARCHITECTURE – 1987 – Book of critical essays by J.W. on architecture and environmental art – Rizzoli International Publishers: USA
- ON SITE-ON ENERGY – 1974 – Book on the state of energy in the 1970s, with contributions by artists, architects, scientists, theoreticians and engineers – Charles Scribner and Sons Publishers: USA – Text dealing with the impact of the energy crisis on art and architecture
More than 150 architectural projects in the USA, Italy, France, England, Austria, Canada, Spain, Qatar, Turkey, Dubai, China, and Japan.