- 2001 Ph.D. – Department of Architecture. History, Theory and Criticism Program. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1993 MA – Department of the History of Art. University of California, Berkeley
- 1991 BA – Department of Architecture Columbia College, Columbia University
- ARCH 491: Undergraduate Thesis
- ARCH 536: Graduate Thesis
Cross-pollinations of technological, scientific and cultural aspects of architectural fabrication in the postwar period. Historical analysis of the evolving use of the terms “habitat,” and by extension “ecology,” in architectural discourse, from the abortive “Charter of Habitat” proposed by Le Corbusier at the seventh meeting of CIAM in 1949, through the work of John McHale in the 1970s.
Honors + Awards
- 2012 Research Fellow, Humanities Institute, University at Buffalo, SUNY
- 2007 Individual Professional Development Award United University Professions, State University of New York, $678
- 2006 Dr. Nuala McGann Drescher Leave Program Award United University Professions, State University of New York, $19,980
- 2006 Individual Professional Development Award United University Professions, State University of New York. $496
- 2002 Individual Professional Development Award United University Professions, State University of New York, $300
- 2001 Individual Professional Development Award United University Professions, State University of New York, $650
- 1998 Advanced Research Award, Department of Architecture Massachusetts Institute of Technology, $5,000
- 1998 Schlossman Research Scholarship Department of Architecture Massachusetts Institute of Technology, $4,000
- 1997 Certificate of Distinction in Teaching Derek Bok Center of Harvard University 1996-1997
- 1991 Award of Recognition, Marion Hahn Fellowship for Art History Department of the History of Art University of California at Berkeley, Tuition plus $10,000 stipend
Exhibitions + Presentations
- 2014 UB in the 70s: Radical Arts. University at Buffalo, SUNY Buffalo, NY, May 6, 2014
- 2013 Deeper History: Contemporary Considerations of Architecture’s Long Past. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, June 1, 2013
- 2013 Architecture and Energy: Climate and Energy International Conference. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, January 25, 2013
- 2011 Keynote Lecture – Spatial Urbanism: Leopold Gerstel and the Radical Avant-garde in Israel International Conference Technion: Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel, June 12, 2011
- 2011 Before and Beyond: Architecture and the User International Conference, University at Buffalo, SUNY Buffalo, NY, April 6-7, 2011
- 2010 In Print. Inaugural Buell Center Conference on the History of Architecture. Columbia University, New York, NY, April 16-17, 2010
- 2009 Words in Postwar Architectural Discourse. International Symposium. Collegium Helveticum, Semper-Sternwarte Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zurich, Switzerland, June 19-20, 2009
- 2006 Housekeeping: The Legacy of Le Corbusier’s machine a habiter. International Symposium. American University of Rome, Rome, Italy, 24 November, 2006
- 2004 Modulations: Natural Cultures, Kennon Symposium 4, Rice School of Architecture, Houston, TX, November 15, 2004
- 2004 Recovering Post-War Europe: Art and Architecture 1945-1970. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, October 8-9, 2004
- 2004 Also chaired and moderated panel entitled Urban Interventions Architecture, Urbanism and the Jewish Subject. Pennsylvania State University, College Station, PA, March 14-15, 2004
- 2008 Beyond Archigram: the Structures of Circulation. Routledge. London and New York.
- 2011 OCTOBER, MIT Press No 136, Spring 2011, pp. 133-155.
- 2006 Journal of Architectural Education, Oxford University Press, February 2006, pp. 15-27.
- 2005 Architectural Research Quarterly. Cambridge University Press. Volume 9, no. 2, June 2005, pp. 133-143.
- 2005 Journal of Architecture. Routledge for the Royal Institute of British Architects. Volume 10, no. 1, February 2005, pp. 91-109.
- 2003 Grey Room. MIT Press. No. 13, Fall 2003, pp. 5-27.