- Ph.D. in Political Sciences of the Environment, Radboud University Nijmegen (2007)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Hydrology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (1988)
- LARCH 311/321/530 - Regional Planning and Landscape Systems
- LARCH 312/322/540 - Site and Community Design
- LARCH 501 - Research and Writing in Landscape Architecture
- CED 409 - Land Use Planning and Procedure
- CED 155 - Science, Technology and Public Policy
- CEDEV 500 - Community and Economic Development: Theory and Practice
- CEDEV 509 - Population, Land Use, and Municipal Finance
- LARCH 414 - Advanced Landscape Architectural Design
- LARCH 424/530 - Design Theory Seminar "Designing with Scale"
- LARCH 497/510 - Landscape Architecture Seminar
- LARCH 590 - Colloquium "Design Geographies" and "Critical Planning"
- CED 152 - Community Development Concepts and Practice
- CED 309 - Land Use Dynamics
- CED 427W - Society and Natural Resources
- STS 101 - Modern Science, Technology, and Human Values
- HDNRE 590 - Human Dimensions in Natural Resources and the Environment Colloquium
- Natural resource and landscape governance
- Community science, planning, and design
- Science, Technology, and Society (STS) studies and public policy.
Current research: "Teaching Critical Reflexivity in Science-Citizen Interaction" (Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, PI).
Exhibitions + Presentations
- Padt, F.J.G. & M. Bose, Teaching critical reflexivity in science-citizen interaction. Presentation at the International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, June 19-22, 2017 in Umeå, Sweden.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger & M. Bose, Leadership in knowledge exchange for regional development: An educational perspective. Seminar "Exploring Varieties of Leadership in Urban and Regional Development", November 12-13, 2015, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Padt, F.J.G, Territorialization as a tool for change. Presentation at the 21st International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, June 13-18, 2015 in Charleston, South Carolina.
- F.J.G. Padt, Scale research in an interdisciplinary setting, keynote at the 2014-15 Annual Symposium of the Interdisciplinary PhD Program in Urban Design and Planning, May 7, 2015 at the University of Washington, Seattle
- Korostoff, N. & F.J.G. Padt, Scalar narratives in Turkish irrigation practices. Paper for the international conference “Irrigation, Society, Landscape; Tribute to T.F. Glick) from September 25-27, 2014 at the Universitat Politècnica de València (Spain).
- Padt, F.J.G., The Scale of Engagement, Penn State Community and Economic Development Graduate Program 2014 Summer Institute, July 17, 2014.
- Padt, F.J.G., Scale-Sensitive Governance of the Environment. M.E. John seminar, April 4, 2014, Department of Agricultural Economics, Sociology, and Education, Penn State University.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger, Science and citizenship in natural resources education. Paper for the 10th Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources (BCUENR), March 13-15, 2014 at Auburn University, AL.
- Padt, F.J.G. & Luloff, A.E., Organized session: "Using Science in Natural Resources Management", 19th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Estes Park Center, Colorado (USA), June 4-8, 2013.
- Padt, F.J.G & A.E. Luloff, Contested Knowledges in Natural Resource Management, 18th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Edmonton, Alberta (Canada), June 17-21, 2012.
- Padt, F.J.G., contribution to the panel discussion "What is community sustainability?", Penn State Community and Economic Development Graduate Program 2012 Summer Institute, May 14, 2012.
- Padt, F.J.G., The governance of landscapes and livelihoods. What can citizens do?, 16th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Madison, Wisconsin (USA), June 4-8, 2011.
- Padt, F.J.G., Doing scaling and governance analysis, Scaling and Governance Conference, Wageningen UR (Netherlands), November 10-12, 2010.
- Weigle, J., A.E. Luloff & F.J.G. Padt, Scale-sensitive policies towards natural gas extraction in Pennsylvania, USA, Scaling and Governance Conference, Wageningen UR (Netherlands), November 10-12, 2010.
- Padt, F.J.G., Scaling and governance, contribution to the panel discussion "Scale in Multilevel Governance" Université de Genève (Switzerland), June 16, 2010.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J. Westerink, Scaling and governance in peri-urban areas. Matching operational, observational and interpretative scales for effective governance in a case study in The Netherlands, 16th International Symposium on Society & Resource Management, Corpus Christi, Texas (USA), June 6-10, 2010.
- Horlings, I. & F.J.G. Padt, Leadership for sustainable rural development in a globalizing world, 15th International Symposium on Society and Resource Management in Vienna (Austria), July 5-8, 2009.
- Padt, F.J.G., Integrated water resource management in semi-authoritarian regimes: Lip-service or real progress?, workshop Water Policy Dynamics in State-Centric Regimes, Center for Development Research at the University of Bonn (Germany), March 24-25, 2009.
- Trainer for the course How to institutionalize ‘best’ water management practices? Training course developed for the 5th World Water Forum Learning Centre in Istanbul (Turkey), March 16-22, 2009.
- Moderator workshop Best practices in international water management, International Union for Nature Conservation (IUCN), Barcelona (Spain), October 2-3, 2008.
- Moderator session Environmentalism and the United States at the 16th National Amerikanistendag at Radboud University Nijmegen (the Netherlands), March 17, 2008.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff, A critical review of a managerial approach to community and resource development in the USA and the Netherlands, the XXII European Society for Rural Sociology Congress in Wageningen (the Netherlands), 20-24 August, 2007.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2015). How to scale a territory: Experiences from the United States. Invited contribution to J. Dessein, E. Battaglini & L.G. Horlings (eds.), Cultural Sustainability and Regional Development. Theories and practices of territorialisation, pp. 162-175. Routledge.
Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.) (2014). Scale-sensitive governance of the environment. Edited volume. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G. & B. Arts (2014). The concept of scale. In: Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.),Scale-sensitive Governance of the Environment. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (2014). Synthesis and perspectives for a new research field. In: Padt, F.J.G., Opdam, P., Polman, N., Termeer, C. (eds.), Scale-sensitive Governance of the Environment. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2012). Leadership and scale. Invited contribution to M. Sotarauta, I. Horlings, J. Liddle (eds.),Leadership and Change in Sustainable Regional Development. Routledge.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2007). Green planning. An institutional analysis of regional environmental planning in the Netherlands. Dissertation Radboud University Nijmegen. Delft: Eburon.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2006). Regional environmental planning in the Netherlands. An unstable settlement of policy arrangements. In: B. Arts & P.Leroy (eds.), Institutional Dynamics in Environmental Governance. Environment & Policy, pp. 203-223, Vol. 47. Heidelberg: Springer.
- F.J.G. Padt & N. Korostoff (in preparation). Imagining alternative landscapes for Southeastern Anatolia, Turkey.
- Padt, F.J.G., A.E. Luloff, J. Bridger & M. Bose (under review). Science and citizens in regional planning education.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J.C. Sanchez (2013). Creating New Spaces for Sustainable Water Management in the Senegal River Basin. Natural Resources Journal, 53 (2), 265-284.
- White paper for the Changing Landscape workshop at the Academic Research Conference in Pittsburgh, PA, May 30-31, 2012, part of the NSF-funded Marcellus Matters Project at Penn State.
- Padt, F.J.G. & J. Westerink (2012). Addressing scale in open space preservation: learning from The Hague Region in the Netherlands. Journal of Economic and Social Geography, 103, 601-614.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff (2011). A critical review of a managerial approach to ‘green’ community planning in the USA and the Netherlands. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 54 (4), 445-456.
- Horlings, I. & F.J.G. Padt (2011). Leadership for sustainable regional development in rural areas: Bridging personal and institutional aspects. Sustainable Development, 21 (6), 413-424.
- Jagt, P. & F.J.G. Padt (2010). Conservation with justice: A rights-based approach applied to The Hague Region, the Netherlands. Case study for the IUCN Right-Based Approach Portal.
- Padt, F.J.G. & A.E. Luloff (2009). An institutional analysis of rural policy in the United States. Community Development.Journal of the Community Development Society, 40 (3), 232-246.
- Padt, F.J.G. (2008). Scaling-up water management practices. White paper for the IUCN Water & Nature Initiative.
- Center for Private Forest Affiliate, Penn State University
- Riparian Forest Buffer Advisory Committee, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR)
- Member of the Graduate School
- Department of Landscape Architecture (Graduate Affairs Committee)
- Stuckeman School (Stuckeman Faculty Council, Facilities Committee)
- Department of AESE (CEDEV, Rural Sociology Cluster)
- College of Agricultural Sciences (Non-Tenure Track Faculty Promotion Committee, 3-year appointment)
- Member of Gamma Sigma Delta, The Honor Society of Agriculture
- Judge for the Undergraduate Exhibition, Graduate Exhibition, and the Gamma Sigma Delta Research Expo.
- Reviewer College of Agricultural Sciences Graduate Student Competitive Grant Program.
- Reviewer for Journal of Environmental Sustainability; Regional Studies; Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences; Society & Natural Resources; Journal of Institutional Economics; The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension; Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems; Water Alternatives; Environment and Planning C; Routledge; World Development.