- PhD – Architectural Design Computing, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2016
- M.Arch – Department of Architecture, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 2010
- B.Arch – Department of Architecture, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 2007
Gürsoy Toykoç's research and teaching focus on computational making and material computation, craft theory, shape studies, basic design education, and cognitive studies of the design process.
2015: “Visualizing Making in Design”, Istanbul Technical University – Coordinatorship of Scientific Research Projects, (with Mine Özkar).
Honors + Awards
- CAAD Futures 2015: Best Paper Award (co-writers: Iestyn Jowers, Mine Özkar)
- CAADRIA 2010: Young CAADRIA Award
- TUBITAK, 2010–15: National Scholarship Program for PhD Students
- TUBITAK, 2007–09: National Scholarship Program for MSc Students
- Gürsoy, B., Özkar, M. (2015). Visualizing Making: Shapes, Materials and Actions. Design Studies (41), pp.29-50.
- Gürsoy, B., Özkar, M. (2015). Schematizing Basic Design in Ilhan Koman’s “Embryonic” Approach. Nexus Network Journal 17(3), 981-1005.
- Gürsoy, B., Jowers, I., Özkar, M. (2015). Formal Descriptions of Material Manipulations: An Exploration with Cuts and Shadows, in The Next City: New Technologies and the Future of the Built Environment (eds: Celani, G., Sperling, D.M., Franco, J.M.S.). Berlin: Springer, pp. 439-457.
- Gürsoy, B. (2016). Why is Making Important for the Culture of Design?, in Living Systems and Micro-Utopias: Towards Continuous Designing 21st International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2016), pp. 851-861.
- Gürsoy, B. (2012). The Hands-on Basics of Contemporary Design Education, eCAADe 30 Conference Proceedings Vol.2. pp. 59-99.
- Gürsoy, B., Özkar, M. (2010). Is Model-Making Sketching in Design?, DRS 2010 Conference Proceedings.Montreal.