- Ph.D. Brandenburg Technical University at Cottbus
- Dipl.-Ing. Architecture, University of the Arts, Berlin
- B. A. Columbia University
- ARCH 331/332: Architectural Design III/IV
- ARCH 520: Methods of Inquiry in Architecture and Urban Design
- ARCH 550: Ethics in Architecture
Postwar housing and urban systems in their cultural contexts.
Exhibitions + Presentations
The following is a selected list of research presentations.
- “Housing Transformations, Community Considerations” (with Mallika Bose and Lisa Iulo). Held at the Institute of Arts and Humanities, Penn State University, November 12, 2015.
- “Housing in China: breaking the bounds of contemporary urban theory.” Held at the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture International Conference, Seoul, Korea; June 21-23, 2014.
- “Urban Morphologies of Alternative Spaces: A Case Study of Tehran” (with Babak Solemani). Held at the 21st International Seminar on Urban Form Conference, Porto, Portugal July 3-6, 2014.
- “The ‘New’ Gated Housing Communities in China: Implications for Urban Identity” (with Qingyang Yu). Held at the Architectural Research Centers Consortium / European Association for Architectural Education 2014 Conference, University of Hawaii at Manoa, February 12-15 2014.
- “Germany’s New Postwar Urbanity: Housing projects and the redefinition of the working class.” Held at the 15th International Planning History Society Conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil, 15-18 July 2012.
- “User-Participation and the Design Charrette: A Systematic Approach to Furthering the Design Process” (with Lisa Iulo). Held at the Architectural Research Centers Consortium 2011 Conference in Detroit, April 20-24, 2011.
- “Research with Design Insight.” Panel Presentation with Madis Pihlak, Sanda Lenzholzer, Ute Peorschke, and Jamie Cooper. Held at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the CELA (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture, Los Angeles, March 30-April 2, 2011.
- “Experimental Building Programs in Germany 1990-2010: Focusing Culture through Policy.” Held at the Architectural Research Centers Consortium / European Association for Architectural Education 2010 Conference, Washington, D.C. June 2010.
- “Reaching out and reining in: Four proposals for planning community.” Held at the Architectural Research Centers Consortium 2009 Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2009.
- “Freedom and the Endless Townscape: Popular Culture as Reflected in Frank Lloyd Wright’s Broadacre City and Mikhail Barshch and Mosei Ginzburg’s Zeleny Gorod.” Held at the Mid-Atlantic Popular American Culture Association Conference, Niagara Falls, Ontario, October 2008.
- “Everyday Lives, Everyday Homes: A Case Study of Identity Preservation.” Held at the Society of Architectural Historians 61st Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, April 2008.
- “Spatial Use in Soviet and Post-Soviet Urban Environments.” Held at the conference “Spacing the mind: Cross currents in architecture and urbanism. First Cross-Disciplinary Penn State Conference,” organized by the Penn State Architectural Research Consortium, University Park, Pennsylvania, January 2007.
- “Transparency in Postwar German Architecture: A Symbol of Democracy or of Continuing Class Tensions?” Held at the Architectural Research Centers Consortium/European Association for Architectural Education 2006 International Conference on Architectural Research, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 2006.
- Staub, Alexandra. Conflicted Identities: Housing and the Politics of Cultural Representation. London: Routledge, 2015.
- Staub, Alexandra. "The Road to Upward Mobility Urbanity and the Creation of a New Middle Class in Postwar West Germany." Journal of Urban History 40, no. 3 (2014): 563-584.
- Staub, Alexandra and Qingyang Yu. “The ‘New’ Gated Housing Communities in China: Implications for Urban Identity.” In Proceedings of the 2014 ARCC/EAAE International Conference on Architectural Research: Beyond Architecture: New Intersections & Connections, edited by David Rockwood and Marja Sarvimäki, 545-553. Honolulu: University of Hawa’I at Manoa, 2014.
- Staub, Alexandra. “Germany – Researching Sustainability.” In R&D Investment and Impact in the Built Environment, edited by Keith Hampson and Judy Kraatz, 135-156. London: Routledge, 2014.
- Alexandra Staub. "Germany - Houses as Power Plants." In: Hampson, Keith D., Judy A. Kraatz, Adriana X. Sanchez, Naomi . Heron (eds.) Investing for Impact: Constructing a Better Built Environment. p. 16. Bentley, Australia: Sustainable Built Envoronment National Research Centre, 2013.
- Staub, Alexandra. “Experimental Building Programs in Germany: Focusing Culture Through Policy.” In Klein, Rena M., Richard L. Hayes, and Virginia Ebbert, eds. Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Architectural Research: The Place of Research / The Research of Place, Washington, D.C.: Architectural Research Centers Consortium (ARCC) 2012, 185-192.
- Staub, Alexandra and Lisa Iulo. “User-Participation and the Design Charrette: A Systematic Approach to Furthering the Design Process.” In Plowright, Philip and Bryce Gamper, eds. Proceedings of the Architectural Research Centers Consortium / European Association for Architectural Education, Detroit, Michigan: Lawrence Technological University 2011, 305-314.
- Alexandra Staub. “Einmal im Leben: Rooting the "Little Man" to Conservative Values in Postwar West Germany.” In After Fascism: Society, Political Culture, and Democratization in Europe since 1945, edited by Matthew Berg and Maria Mesner, 153-177. Münster / Berlin / Vienna / London / Zurich: LIT-Verlag, 2009.
- Alexandra Staub. “Reaching out and reining in: Four proposals for planning community.” In Leadership in Architectural Research: Between Academia and the Profession, edited by Hazem Rashed-Ali and Shelley Roff, 417-424. Architectural Research Centers Consortium / European Association for Architectural Education, 2009.
- Alexandra Staub. “Transparency in Postwar West German Architecture: A Symbol of Democracy or of Continuing Class Tensions?” In Emerging Research and Design, edited by Kate Wingert-Playdon and Herman Neuckermans, 184-195. Architectural Research Centers Consortium, 2007.
- Alexandra Staub. "St. Petersburg's Double Life: The Planners' versus the People's City." Journal of Urban History 31, no. 3 (March 2005): 334-354.
- Alexandra Staub. “Public Face and Private Space: The West German Single Family House in the Twentieth Century.” Wolkenkuckucksheim/Cloud-Cukoo-Land/Vozdushnyi zamok’ 9, no. 1 (November 2004): without pagination (18 pages and 29 illustrations). http://www.cloud-cuckoo.net.
- Alexandra Staub. “Magnitogorsk, Russia: Evolution of a Prototype Planned Soviet City After the Fall of Socialism.” In The Planned City, edited by Attilio Petruccioli, Michele Stella, Giuseppe Strappa, 348-52. Bari: Uniongrafica Corcelli Editrice, 2003.
- Alexandra Staub. "From the Beaver to Roseanne: Lessons of TV Homes." Proceedings of the ACSA Annual Meeting, 13-18. Washington D.C.: Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, 2000.
- Alexandra Staub. "Exporting America: Housing in Post-World-War-II Germany." Proceedings of the ACSA Annual Meeting, 463-9. Washington D.C.: Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, 2000.
- Alexandra Staub. “The All-American Dream Moves to Germany: Housing after World War II.” In The American Impact on Western Europe: Americanization and Westernization in Transatlantic Perspective, edited by Raimund Lammersdorf, 1999, without pagination (27 pages and 10 illustrations) www.ghi-dc.org/conpotweb/westernpapers/staub.pdf. and www.ghi-dc.org/conpotweb/westernpapers/staubillus.pdf.
- Alexandra Staub, ed. Werkstatt Wohnen 5: Zu Hause in St. Petersburg [Housing Workshop 5: At Home in St. Petersburg]. In-house publication, BTU Cottbus, 1999.
- Alexandra Staub, ed. Werkstatt Wohnen 4: Total Mobil [Housing Workshop 4: Housing the Handicapped]. In-house publication, BTU Cottbus, 1998.
- Alexandra Staub, ed. Werkstatt Wohnen 3: Der Nutzer Spricht [Housing Workshop 3: User Participation]. In-house publication, BTU Cottbus, 1998.
- Alexandra Staub, ed., Werkstatt Wohnen 2: Das Niedrigenergiehaus [Housing Workshop 2: The Passive Energy House]. In-house publication, BTU Cottbus, 1997.
- Alexandra Staub. “Neue Einfamilienhäuser in den USA: Die neusten Entwicklungen im Einfamilienhausbau dargestellt an 30 Beispielen, herausgegeben von Oscar Riera Ojeda” [The New American House: Newest Developments in Single Family Housing as Shown in 30 Examples, edited by Oscr Riera Ojeda]. Kursiv: Literaturblatt der Bauwelt 87, no. 27 (1996): 17 (book review).
- Alexandra Staub. “Contemporary California Architects by Philip Jodidio.” Kursiv: Literaturblatt der Bauwelt 87, no. 27 (1996): 18 (book review).
- Edda Kurz, Alexandra Staub, and Fritz Talle, eds. Werkstatt Wohnen 1: Mobiles, Flexibles und Variables Wohnen [Housing Workshop 1: Mobile, Flexible and Variable Housing]. In-house publication, BTU Cottbus, 1995.
- Alexandra Staub. "Ein Ort mit vielen Handlungsräumen–Delano-Hotel, Miami Beach" [A Space in Many Acts – Delano Hotel, Miami Beach]. Bauwelt 86, no. 44 (1995): 2532-7.
- Alexandra Staub. "Mobile, Flexible, Variable: Housing Concepts Rediscovered." In The Appropriateness of Means, 56-69. Graz: Haus der Architektur, 1995.
- Alexandra Staub. “Drinnen-draussen: unterwegs” [Inside-Outside: On the Way]. Bauwelt 85, no. 19 (1994): 1024 (symposium review).
- Alexandra Staub. “Neue Unis im Osten” [New Universities in the East]. Baumeister 91, no. 1 (Jan. 1994): 47-9.
- Mary Pepchinsky and Alexandra Staub. "Berlin After the Wall." Metropolis, no. 1-2 (Jan-Feb. 1993), 58-65.
- Alexandra Staub. “Genua: ‘Colombo 92’: die Entdeckung des Meeres” [“Colombo 92”: Discovering the Sea]. Baumeister 89, no. 8 (Aug 1992): 40-48.
- Wallis Miller, Mary Pepchinsky, and Alexandra Staub. “How to become an architect: Architektenausbildung in New York” [How to Become an Architect: Architectural Education in New York]. Bauwelt 83, no. 6-7 (1992): 325-7.
- Alexandra Staub. "Projects Post-Wall Berlin." Progressive Architecture 72, no. 12 (Dec. 1991): 93-5.
- Alexandra Staub. "'Brand Neu,' Brandenburg blüht auf" [Brand New: Brandenburg’s Awakening]. Bauwelt 82, no. 25 (1991): 1328.
- Alexandra Staub. “Gedenkstätte Fossoli” [The Fossoli Memorial]. Bauwelt 82, no. 31 (1991): 1588-9.
- Alexandra Staub. “Die Renaissance der Iron-buildings” [The Renaissance of the Iron Buildings]. Bauwelt 82, no. 13 (1991): 654-5.
- Alexandra Staub. "Großräschen: Ein Dorf stirbt für den Tagebau" [Grossrächen: The Strip-Mine Death of a Small Town]. Bauwelt 81, no. 27 (1990): 1396-7.